Start a Free Trial After Upgrading to Act Version 25
- Act! Training Video Topic: How to sign up for the free trial of SMS for Act!, which allows sending text messages from the ACT contact detail view.
- Initial Requirements: Before starting, your database should have an activity type associated with text messages.
- Creating an SMS Activity Type: Go to the schedule menu, select manage submenu, then activity types. Use the new SMS menu at the top to easily create the SMS activity type. Only managers or administrators can perform this action.
- Setting up the Free Trial: On the SMS for ACT window, there are three steps to follow: 1) Create an SMS activity type. 2) Confirm your email and enter your country location for correct SMS country codes. 3) Click on “start free trial” to initiate the trial.
- Trial Limitations: Users get 14 days with 25 credits for the trial. One credit is equal to sending a message of up to 160 standard characters or 70 characters with non-standard symbols.
Note: Keep in mind the importance of ensuring your database has the required activity type before starting the SMS for Act! feature.
Act! Training Videos – Receiving an SMS Message From a Contact
SMS for ACT Feature: Enables users to send text messages to one or more contacts in the Act database. Sending a text via Act creates a history record of the message.
Receiving Replies: If a contact replies to a sent text, Act records the reply in the system. Users are notified via an email, sent to an email address specified in the account settings.
Subscription Requirement: The SMS feature is not available in the trial version; only paid subscribers have access.
Practical Use: A demonstration was shown where a message was sent to a contact, Ian McCadger, using a pre-built template inquiring about his availability for an inspection. The reply from the contact was then viewed in Act and also received in the Outlook email account.
Convenience: The SMS menu within Act allows users to quickly check for replies, showing the date, time, and details of received messages.
Act! Training Videos – Designing Templates for SMS Messages: A Summary
Locate the SMS Menu: Start by navigating to the SMS menu on Act! and select “edit templates” to design a new SMS template.
Creating Placeholders: Draft your message, leaving placeholders where you want to insert dynamic content, like the contact’s first name or the sender’s business name.
Mail Merge Fields: Modify these placeholders by selecting the correct field type (e.g., contact or your record) and field name (e.g., first name, company). The software inserts a code representing the field type and name.
Saving and Using Templates: After finalizing the template, save it with a descriptive name. In the future, these templates can be loaded when sending an SMS to your contacts.
Sending the SMS: To send a templated SMS, select the contacts you want to message, choose the desired template, ensure the correct phone field (like mobile phone) is selected, and send. The system will individually merge the necessary details for each contact in the SMS.
I would like to express my appreciation to Brent Milner for creating such informative and engaging Act CRM content. His dedication to producing high-quality videos is evident, and his expertise in Act! CRM is truly commendable. I look forward to continuing to learn and be inspired by his work. Brent has been producing Act! training videos for more than 15 years. Thanks Brent.